When you go out in public or to another person’s residence in New York, you expect to be able to do so easily and without sustaining any injury. However, if there are hazards on the property, regardless of if the owner knows about them, they can drastically change your plans for the worse and even cause to life-long pain and suffering.
Every year, thousands of individuals across New York State suffer slip and fall incidents. Although most cases result in only minor injuries, some instances can have a lasting and damaging impact on a person’s ability to function.
The term “slip and fall” is generally used to describe accidents where people are injured as a result of slipping, tripping or falling over or due to items in their environment. These are also often caused by dangerous conditions on a property.
These falls can take place inside or outside a building, and some contributing factors are typically wet floors, weather-related or hidden hazards, bad or damaged flooring, or poorly lit steps. Icy patches and crack or potholes often cause these accidents in the parking lots of businesses and apartments complexes, but they can happen anywhere on a property.
New Yorkers are Protected Against Slip and Fall Injuries
A slip and fall accident is generally covered by negligence laws in New York City. These laws deal with the premises liability which specifies that property owners have a duty of care to maintain a safe and defect-free property. Property owners are required to routinely inspect their buildings to ensure they have no structural defects that can cause accidents on both the interior of a home and the property outside.
Property owners are sometimes required to close off areas that regularly present weather-related dangers, and some common structural defects include:
– Loose floor tiling
– Unsecured floor mats and rugs
– Excessive amounts of water on the floor
– Cracks or holes in parking lots and sidewalks
– Improper lighting in stairs and near steps
What to Do If You suffer A Slip And Fall Injury
Slip and fall accidents can happen to anyone in any location, from New York and Newburgh to Syracuse and Rochester. You are legally entitled to compensation for your traumatic and damaging experience, but you must take appropriate actions as soon as possible in order to protect your legal rights and ensure your best chances of securing compensation.
- Your health is most important so it is imperative that you seek immediate medical attention. Although an injury may seem minor, you could have serious medical problems that need to be addressed. An examination by a healthcare professional will ensure you receive appropriate care and also serve as proof of injury in your claim.
- If you ever experience a slip and fall accident, you should try to determine what factor contributed to the incident. If you’re able to, you can examine the area to see if there are any defects, loose or cracked ground surfaces, or other elements that caused the injury to occur and photograph these defects for evidence. You should also try to take photographs or notes on conditions in the area. This includes the type of lighting, if something made you slip, or if there was something on the floor.
- If anyone witnessed you falling, collect their names and addresses. These people can serve as witnesses in your case and confirm your side of the story.
- You should report the incident to the property owner as soon as possible, and persistent until they make a record of the incident. A lawyer like those at New York Lawyer can help you handle this situation in the best manner possible, especially if the property owner is not accepting responsibility.
As the injured party, you are responsible for proving that a hazard existed and that the hazard is what caused your accident.
A lawyer can help you file a complaint, collect evidence, interview witnesses, and investigate the scene where the incident occurred. As experienced injury lawyers, our team at New York Lawyer will pursue your case and investigate whether your incident is the first of its kind or others have been injured at the location as well, whether the damage or hazard had been reported in the past, and to what extent the property owner was aware of the hazard.
We Help Clients Get the Compensation They Deserve
When a person suffers a slip and fall injury in New York, they often require medical attention. Some individuals have to go through extensive physical and sometimes emotional and mental therapy. Others may not be able to work as a result of the injuries they sustain. Our team of experienced and qualified New York lawyers have helped hundred of clients obtain the maximum compensation they are entitled to. Some of our most notable slip and fall cases include:
– $1 million for a slip and fall injury in a hospital
– $1.5 million for a slip and fall due to landlord negligence
– $2.8 million for an injury at a catering hall
– $675,000 for an auto parts delivery worker
– $500,000 for a police officer that fell in a bathroom due to water on the floor
– $500,000 for a patient falling down a staircase at his home
– $425,000 due to a fall from high gloss painted steps
– $360,000 settlement for a slip and fall due to water on the floor
– $350,000 for an injury at a Home Depot
– $290,000 for an injury caused by a broken step in an apartment building
– $267,500 for a snow and ice related fall
– $250,000 for a snow and ice related fall
– $239,000 for an injury at a supermarket
Although no amount of money can erase the pain and suffering a person sustains due to these injuries, the compensation can help the victim secure the medical help they need and maintain their finances while they recover.
The victims of slip and fall accidents can suffer a variety of serious injuries. Head and brain injuries, spinal injuries, and damage to internal organs are all common and can result in the need for extensive medical treatment and cause agonizing pain. Anyone that suffers an injury due to a fall in New York should seek immediate medical attention and hire legal representation as soon as possible. Having a lawyer work on your behalf to gather evidence and represent you in court will ensure all of your legal rights are protected.
If you or a loved one is in need of legal assistance in dealing with a slip and fall accident, contact our law firm at (212) 354-6800 as soon as possible for a free case evaluation.