Across the United States, motor vehicles are among the most common cause of death and serious injury each year. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the leading cause of death for individuals between 1 and 44 years of age is injuries sustained during motor vehicle accidents. Many of these crashes happen within New York, affecting everyone who lives in the state. Though automobile manufacturers have become more aware of the need to offer improved safety features in their vehicles, these numbers continue to rise.
Both governments and manufacturers are taking steps to improve safety. More vehicles than ever before offer roof crush resistance, rear impact guards, side impact protection, and both driver and passenger airbags as standard features. State governments across the country have noticed the trend and have worked to pass and enforce far stricter laws against driving under the influence. Although these efforts have had an exceptional impact on decreasing the number of individuals injured in motor vehicle accidents, the numbers are still increasing.
When it comes to handling a motor vehicle accident claim, it must be handled right the first time. Injured parties have to follow specific filing and procedural requirements as they have only one chance to seek compensation for injuries and damages incurred in the accident. Missing a deadline or not having all the proper documentation, witness statements, and receiving medical treatment can all negatively impact a person’s ability to receive the maximum compensation. An experienced lawyer like those at New York Lawyer can help prevent this regrettable outcome.
Automobile Accident Claims in New York City
Individuals that are involved in automobile accidents in New York are legally entitled to compensation. Automobile accidents cases in New York are known to be complex and are often the result of a driver’s negligence. Individuals that commit negligent acts fail to use the required and expected level of care while driving. Some of the most common types of automobile accidents result from:
– Driver Error and Negligence: When it comes to automobile accidents, negligence can arise under a variety of situations. One of the most common is driver error, where a driver fails to yield the right-of-way, follows too closely behind another, speeds, disregards a traffic control device, or is driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
– Distractions to Driver: The number of accidents cause by distractions is on the rise across the entire country. Drivers trying to read text messages, put on makeup, change the radio, or interact with other things within the car often cause them to look away from the road and collide with things they otherwise would have avoided.
– Failure to Maintain a Vehicle up to Standard: Individuals that fail to service or maintain their vehicle can cause accidents if a system or component on the vehicle fails. This can be a brake failure, a part of the vehicle dislodging, or parts of the vehicle disengaging while driving.
– Negligent Design of the Roadway: Factors outside of the vehicle cause occasionally accidents. Holes or debris, construction work, poorly designed roadways, and traffic control issues can all contribute to accidents.
– Product Liability or Defect: Litigations involving product liability in motor vehicle accidents are a common occurrence. These claims involve a defective part of a vehicle that caused an injury accident. Some common defects are blowouts, brake failures, or even complete mechanical failures. Inadequate design can lead to accidents as well.
Multiple factors often cause or contribute to a motor vehicle accident. Among the most common factor is the conduct of a negligent person. If an accident occurs, acting quickly can protect your legal rights and help guarantee your right to compensation.
What To Do After a New York Motor Vehicle Accident
Individuals involved in accidents are often unaware of what they can do. Victims face serious injuries that often leave them unable to work and unable to meet financial obligations. In some cases, they may have to go through multiple surgeries and extensive periods of recovery.
Injured drivers are often able to receive compensation to make up for lost wages and damaged property, as well as pain and suffering. If a loved one is ever killed due to a motor vehicle accident, families are often able to file lawsuits to obtain compensation for medical and funeral expenses as well as various other things.
If a person is involved in a motor vehicle accident, it is important that they act quickly. First, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if an injury seems minor, it can quickly escalate into something major or even life-threatening. A thorough exam by a medical professional will ensure you physically recover in the best and fastest way possible.
Photographs of the accident can also provide crucial evidence in your case and defend your rights. Photographs of the vehicles involved, the area where the accident occurred, and any site that seems relevant to your claim can be taken by your or someone you trust if you’re unable to take them yourself. Debris in the roadway, pothole covers missing, or even cracks in the road could all have played a factor in the accident.
After securing medical attention, you should immediately report the accident to the police and contact your own insurance company as well as those of anyone involved in the accident. They will be busy putting together their own investigation in order to determine who is at fault. You are entitled to both police and insurance company reports, and you are able to dispute any information they provide that you do not agree with.
Helping Clients with Motor Vehicle Accident Claims for Nearly Twenty Years
It is crucial for anyone involved in a motor vehicle accident in New York to act quickly. A reputable attorney will help file claims, gather information, and collect evidence so you and your loved ones can focus on your recovery.
Our team at New York Lawyer will work to protect and safeguard your legal rights. If you have been injured in a car accident, or if a loved one was killed in a motor vehicle crash, contact our law firm at (212) 354-6800 for a free case evaluation.